Welcome to Episode 30 of Show Tunes with Kate Botello! Coming up: three early hits for legendary combo Lerner and Loewe. Then, we’ll hear from shows running right now. At Intermission, a tribute to the late, great, Elaine Stritch. In Act Two, we’ll hear some new renditions of evergreen songs from THE WIZARD OF OZ.
Click through for this week's playlist!
This week's playlist:
- MY FAVORITE YEAR (1992) - Twenty Million People
- BRIGADOON (1947) - Almost Like Being In Love
- PAINT YOUR WAGON (1951) - I Talk to the Trees
- MY FAIR LADY (1956) - On the Street Where You Live
- WAITRESS (2016) - When He Sees Me
- FIDDLER ON THE ROOF (2016 revival) - To Life!
INTERMISSION - ELAINE STRITCH AT LIBERTY (Zip): A tribute to the late, great Elaine Stritch.
- THE WIZARD OF OZ (1939) - If I Only Had a Brain (Jim Caruso, THE SWING SET)
- THE WIZARD OF OZ (1939) - If I Only Had a Heart (Susanna McCorkle, OVER THE RAINBOW)
- THE WIZARD OF OZ (1939/2011) - If I Only Had the Nerve (David Ganly, ANDREW LLOYD WEBBER'S THE WIZARD OF OZ)
- SUNDAY IN THE PARK WITH GEORGE (1984/2004) - Sunday (Billy Porter, AT THE CORNER OF BROADWAY AND SOUL)
- MY FAVORITE YEAR (1992) - My Favorite Year
EPILOGUE: GEORGE WHITE'S SCANDALS OF 1939/STRITCH (1956) - Are You Having Any Fun? Music and lyrics by Sammy Fain and Jack Yellen, sung by Elaine Stritch
Here's the magnificent Stritch performing, "Zip," from PAL JOEY, in her concert film, ELAINE STRITCH, AT LIBERTY.
Did you spend some time on the boards yourself? We'd love to hear your Musical Theatre War Stories - and share them on the air! Tell us about your biggest triumphs, your catastrophic failures, your near-misses and brilliant saves. Call the IPR Comment Line at 231-276-4444 and leave us a message. We'd also love to hear your Show Tune requests so we can play your favorites!