Sea shanties are having a viral moment right now, and this week on Classical IPR in Concert, we'll dive in and add our own voices!
We'll learn about sea shanties from expert Lee Murdock, and hear shanties for different types of work on a ship.
Long haul shanty, short haul shanty, capstan shanty? Sea song? Whatever it takes - get 'er done!
Many thanks to Lee Murdock for his expertise! To learn more about his music and storytelling, please visit his website.
Tune in to Classical IPR Friday night at 8 p.m., Sunday at noon, or listen any time at the link below.
Music in this episode:
- The Wellerman/Nathan Evans
- Blow the Man Down/Men of the Robert Shaw Chorale
- What Shall We Do with the Drunken Sailor?/Men of the Robert Shaw Chorale
- Tom's Gone to Hilo/Men of the Robert Shaw Chorale
- Hangin' Johnny/Lee Murdock
- Haul Away, Joe/Men of the Robert Shaw Chorale
- Haul on the Bowline/La Nef
- Boney/X-Seaman's Institute
- Paddy Doyle's Boots/The Exmouth Shantymen
- A'Rovin'/Men of the Robert Shaw Chorale
- Randy Dandy, O/La Nef
- Bound for the Rio Grande/Men of the Robert Shaw Chorale
- Stormalong, John/La Nef
- Santy Anna/Men of the Robert Shaw Chorale
- Spanish Ladies/Men of the Robert Shaw Chorale
- Leave Her, Johnny/La Nef
- Lowlands Away/La Nef
- Rolling Down to Old Maui/La Nef
- Shenendoah/Men of the Robert Shaw Chorale
- Red Iron Ore/Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald/Lee Murdock