The Interlochen Collection: Variations
This episode of the Interlochen Collection features sets of variations by a variety of composers.
There's works by Copland, Schoenberg, Hovhaness, among others, with several themes that may be familiar.
All works are played by Interlochen students and campers.
Music heard in this episode
- Aaron Copland, Variations on a Shaker Melody; Mallory Thompson/High School Symphonic Band (July 1997)
- Alan Hovhaness, Variations and Fugue; George C. Wilson/World Youth Symphony Orchestra (July 1968)
- Daniel Levitan, Variations on a Ghanaian Theme; John Alfieri/Interlochen Arts Academy Percussion Ensemble (1993-94 Academy Year)
- Johannes Brahms, Variations on a Theme by Haydn; George C. Wilson/World Youth Symphony Orchestra (July 1969)
- Anthony Plog, Mini Variations on Amazing Grace; Ken Larson/Interlochen Arts Academy Brass Ensemble (2006-07 Academy Year)
- Arnold Schoenberg, Theme and Variations; Frederick Fennell/High School Symphonic Band (2000)
The archival recordings heard on this program are available thanks in part to The Association for Recorded Sound Collections' Classical Music Preservation Grant, support from IPR listeners, and the Hamer D. and Phyllis C. Shafer Foundation.
Michael Culler and Stefan Wiebe provided audio engineering assistance.
Anastasia Scholze provided research and production support.