The Interlochen Collection: Celebrating Byron Hanson
This episode of the Interlochen Collection celebrates Byron Hanson, who spent over half a century at Interlochen as a pianist, conductor, chamber music coach, administrator, and archivist.
Music heard in this episode
- Robert Russell Bennett, Suite of Old American Dances: I. Cakewalk; George C. Wilson/1958 National High School Band
- Johann Sebastian Bach, Et incarnatus est/Jesu Joy of Man’s Desiring; Kenneth Jewell/1963 High School Choir (21 July 1963) (Byron Hanson, accompanist)
- Julius Fucik, Thunder and Blazes; Frederick Fennell/Eastman Wind Ensemble
- Ralph Vaughan Williams, Folk Song Suite; Byron Hanson/Interlochen Arts Academy Band (1971-72 Academy Year)
- Francis Poulenc, Trio for Oboe, Bassoon, and Piano; Interlochen Arts Academy Chamber Players (1992-93 Academy Year - Faculty Group); Daniel Stolper, oboe, George Sakakeeny, bassoon, Byron Hanson, piano
- Sergei Prokofiev, Lieutenant Kije Suite; Byron Hanson/Interlochen Arts Academy Orchestra (1984-85 Academy Year)
The archival recordings heard on this program are available thanks in part to The Association for Recorded Sound Collections' Classical Music Preservation Grant, support from IPR listeners, and the Hamer D. and Phyllis C. Shafer Foundation.
Michael Culler and Stefan Wiebe provided audio engineering assistance.
Anastasia Scholze provided research and production support.