The Interlochen Collection: Dances
This program features dances composed on musical ideas from around the world.
From Scotland, to Armenia, to Russia, you’ll hear traditional dance adaptations, a taste of folk music, and even music written for the ballet, all played by Interlochen Academy Students and Campers.
Music heard in this episode
- Malcolm Arnold, Four Scottish Dances; George C Wilson/NMC High School Symphonic Band (July 1963)
- Enrique Granados, Spanish Dance No. 5; Interlochen Arts Academy Harp Ensemble (2001-02 Academy year); including Orquesta Sinfonica Juvenil De Costa Rica harpists: Ilse Porras Guillén, Alicia Jiménez
- Alfred Reed, Armenian Dances I; Dennis L Johnson/Interlochen Arts Academy Band (1978-79 Academy year)
- Igor Stravinsky, The Firebird (1911 Suite): I. Introduction - The Enchanted Garden of King Kastchei - Dance of the Firebird, IV. Round Dance of the Princesses, & V. Infernal Dance of Kastchei’s Subjects; JoAnn Falletta/World Youth Symphony Orchestra (July 2012)
- Valerie Coleman, Concerto for Wind Quintet and Orchestra: III. Danza; Lawrence Leighton Smith/World Youth Symphony Orchestra (July 2004); featuring Imani Winds (Valerie Coleman, flute, Toyin Spellman, oboe, Mariam Adam, clarinet, Monica Ellis, bassoon, Jeff Scott, horn)
- Frank Ticheli, Cajun Folk Songs: Country Dance; John Stanley Ross/Interlochen Arts Academy Wind Ensemble (1997-98 Academy year)
The archival recordings heard on this program are available thanks in part to The Association for Recorded Sound Collections' Classical Music Preservation Grant, support from IPR listeners, and the Hamer D. and Phyllis C. Shafer Foundation.
Michael Culler and Stefan Wiebe provided audio engineering assistance.
Anastasia Scholze provided research and production support.