Show Tunes S4 EP 2: The Wiz (1975)
The soul/funk/disco retelling of "The Wizard of Oz" by Charlie Smalls won a pile of Tony awards in 1975
Young Dorothy (Stephanie Mills) is swept up by a tornado to the Wonderful Land of Oz, where she seeks her way home aided by a Scarecrow, a Tin Man and a Cowardly Lion.
Tony Awards (1975):
- Best Musical
- Best Original Score (Charlie Smalls)
- Best Performance by a Featured Actor in a Musical (Ted Ross as The Lion)
- Best Performance by a Featured Actress in a Musical (Dee Dee Bridgewater as Glinda)
- Best Direction of a Musical (Geoffrey Holder)
- Best Choreography (George Faison)
- Best Costume Design (Geoffrey Holder)
"Ease on Down the Road"
"If You Believe"
"Everybody Rejoice" (co-written with Luther Vandross!)
"Tornado" (an instrumental disco tornado that hit the Billboard charts!)
- "The Feeling We Once Had" (tearjerker for parents)
- "Be A Lion" (Stephanie Mills motivational tearjerker)
- "Soon As I Get Home" (Stephanie Mills is awesome)
- The Feeling We Once Had
- He's the Wizard
- Soon as I Get Home
- I Was Born on the Day Before Yesterday
- Ease on Down the Road
- Slide Some Oil to Me
- I'm a Mean Ole Lion
- Be a Lion
- So You Wanted to See the Wizard
- What Would I Do If I Could Feel
- Don't Nobody Bring Me No Bad News
- Everybody Rejoice
- Y'all Got It!
- If You Believe
- Home (Finale)