Welcome to Episode 17 of Show Tunes with Kate Botello! This week - it's a matter of patter and light with a little country-western thrown in to boot. At Intermission - a great casting story and some sound advice from our friend Michael Mastroddi.
Tune in to Classical IPR Sunday nights at 7pm, or listen to all our episodes here!
Click through for this week's playlist, a bonus video of a performer in action, and to find out how to hear your voice on the show!
This week's playlist:
- GENTLEMEN PREFER BLONDES (1949) - Overture
- BARNUM (1980) - The Museum Song
- COMPANY (1970) - (Not) Getting Married Today
- LITTLE SHOP OF HORRORS (1982) - Now (It's Just the Gas)
- THE LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA (2005) - The Light in the Piazza
- NEXT TO NORMAL (2009) - Light
- SUNDAY IN THE PARK WITH GEORGE (Color and Light)
INTERMISSION: A memorable audition story and some casting advice from our friend Michael Mastroddi
- SCHOOL OF ROCK (2015) - Teacher's Pet
- BRIGHT STAR (2016) - Sun is Gonna Shine
- 9 TO 5 (2009) - Backwoods Barbie
- BEST LITTLE WH*REHOUSE IN TEXAS (1978) - Sidestep
- CATCH ME IF YOU CAN (2011) - Fly, Fly Away
- GENTLEMEN PREFER BLONDES (1949) - Finale/Keeping Cool with Coolidge
Here's a clip from the D.A. Pennebaker documentary about the recording of the COMPANY soundtrack - Beth Howland gets it from all sides while working on, "(Not) Getting Married Today!" (Don't worry - she nailed it! Listen above!)
Now that you've seen and heard the delightful, definitive Beth Howland - check out some other notable performances of, "(Not) Getting Married Today." Isn't it amazing how much one song can change, depending on the delivery?
Did you spend some time on the boards yourself? We'd love to hear your Musical Theatre War Stories - and share them on the air! Tell us about your biggest triumphs, your catastrophic failures, your near-misses and brilliant saves. Call the IPR Comment Line at 231-276-4444 and leave us a message. We'd also love to hear your Show Tune requests so we can play your favorites!