At Interlochen Public Radio, we first met Mike and Stacey Fekete at their Benzie County home last spring, when their grief for their son was very raw. Jake Fekete had died only weeks before of a drug overdose. His family believes Jake was trying to medicate his depression with drugs that had not been prescribed for him.
His parents shared their story as part of an Interlochen Public Radio series looking at the community response to a number of drug-related deaths in the close-knit county.
Today Mike Fekete joins us in the studio to talk about the difficulty of grieving at the holidays, how their family will honor Christmas very differently this year, and what they plan to do to reach out to others in the community who have also suffered loss.