Welcome to Episode 25 of Show Tunes with Kate Botello! Coming up: theatre types and fantastic flops. At Intermission - we'll time-travel to the 70's, when Broadway got groovy with some funky disco covers.
In Act Two, we'll hear some Tony nominees!
Click through for this week's playlist and a delightfully wry clip of Lauren Bacall as Margo Channing in APPLAUSE (the 1970 musical of ALL ABOUT EVE).
Here's this week's playlist:
- FLOWER DRUM SONG (1958) - Overture
- APPLAUSE (1970) - Welcome to the Theatre
- FOLLIES (1971) - Broadway Baby
- SUNSET BOULEVARD (1994) - As If We Never Said Goodbye
- THE GRASS HARP (1971) - If There's Love Enough
- FLORA THE RED MENACE (1965) - All I Need is One Good Break
INTERMISSION: Broadway goes disco!! We have a cavalcade of funky B'way disco covers, including Grace Jones doing ANNIE, Boris Midney's EVITA, Linda Clifford's SWEET CHARITY, Gloria Gaynor's LA CAGE AUX FOLLES, Johnny Mathis's JUBILEE, Gordon Grody's SWEENEY TODD, and le piece de resistance - Ethel Merman's ANNIE GET YOUR (disco!) GUN.
- WAITRESS (2016) - What's Inside
- SCHOOL OF ROCK (2015) - Time to Play
- THE KING AND I (2015 revival) - Shall I Tell You What I Think of You?
- HEDWIG AND THE ANGRY INCH (2014 revival) - Wig in a Box
- THE ROCKY HORROR SHOW (2000 revival) - I'm Going Home
- FLOWER DRUM SONG (1958) - Finale
Here's Lauren Bacall as Margo Channing with the wonderfully ironic, "Welcome to the Theatre" from APPLAUSE (1970)!
Did you spend some time on the boards yourself? We'd love to hear your Musical Theatre War Stories - and share them on the air! Tell us about your biggest triumphs, your catastrophic failures, your near-misses and brilliant saves. Call the IPR Comment Line at 231-276-4444 and leave us a message. We'd also love to hear your Show Tune requests so we can play your favorites!